What is Hunger Action Month?
Established by Feeding America, Hunger Action Month is a national initiative designed to mobilize the public to take action on the issue of hunger. Every September, hunger relief organizations and their partners organize a number of events to raise awareness in their communities of the existence of hunger and food insecurity. Without awareness of a problem, people can not take action to remedy it.
How can you take action this September?
Any action – big or small – makes a real difference in the lives of the hungry neighbors in our community. Together, we are solving hunger!
Volunteer at a Pack-A-Thon
Help us pack 50,000 lbs of food for our neighbors in need! Join us for one of our Hunger Action Month Pack-a-thons at one of our Center locations!
Register to volunteer at a Pack-A-Thon here.
What is a Pack-a-thon?
A Pack-a-thon is a day-long packing event in which participants inspect, sort and package donated food that will be distributed to our neighbors throughout Northern Illinois Food Bank’s 13-county service area.
The day is divided into four 2-hour shifts. Each shift will begin with a brief informational session that will explain the shift’s task, food safety guidelines to follow and the impact that participants will be making in their community. During the rest of the shift, participants will sort various food items, such as fresh produce, cereal or canned goods. There will also be opportunities for participants to win various raffle prizes.
This event is great for teams, families, or individuals! Children 8 years and older can join!
Volunteer shifts include 7:00-9:00am, 9:30-11:30am, 12:30-2:30pm, and 3:00-5:00pm
- September 7 at the North Suburban Center (330 Keller Drive / Park City, IL 60085)
- September 21 at the South Suburban Center (171 South Larkin Avenue / Joliet, IL 60436)
- September 28 at the Northwest Center (765 Research Parkway / Rockford, IL 61109)
Register online or contact our Volunteer Team – email or call 630-443-6910.
Food & Fund Drive
Work with your local community organizations, businesses, and schools to collect food and funds to help your hungry neighbors. Remember, every $1 donated provides $8 worth of food!
Host a VIRTUAL Food & Fund Drive
- A Virtual Food Drive is a fast, easy, and convenient way to put food on the table for hungry neighbors in our community. It saves you the trip to the grocery store or lugging heavy cans. It also saves time and resources for the Food Bank, allowing us to skip sorting and storage. “Shopping” with the Food Bank through our Virtual Food Drive maximizes your donation. Get started here.
Host a PHYSICAL Food & Fund Drive
- Organize a traditional Food & Fund Drive with the help of posters and other promotional materials found here.
Contact Andrew Palmer with any questions – Email or call (630) 443-6910 ext. 196
Dedicate your social media to the cause!
- Follow the Food Bank on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram.
- Post about hunger and the need in your area using the resources found in our Hunger Action Month Toolkit. If people don’t realize there is a problem, then they won’t know they need to take action to fix it
- Be sure to tag Northern Illinois Food Bank (@ILfoodbank on Twitter, and @northernilfoodbank on Instagram) and use the hashtag #ILHungerAction
Participate in Pass the Plate
Dine at one of our partner restaurants this September to help us raise funds for our hungry neighbors. View a list of participating restaurants and learn more about Pass the Plate.
Show your support by attending a Hunger Action Month event in your community!
Northern Illinois Food bank and many of our partners are holding awareness and fundraising events all month long!
Check out our Hunger Action Month Event Calendar and find one near you!
Attention member agencies and community partners! If you want to share your event on this calendar, contact Teresa Schryver – Email or call 630-443-6910 ext 160
- Rockford City Market – MORE DETAILS
September 7 at 3-8pm
Location: Water Street &, Market St, Rockford, IL 61107
Rockford City Market features local growers and vendors who sell natural products and unique retail items, live music, demonstrations and kids’ activities. Northern Illinois Food Bank will be volunteering as the Gate Keepers for the September 7th Market. Be sure to stop by, and visit us at the gates and at our informational table to learn more about how you can help solve hunger!
- Park City Pack-a-thon – MORE DETAILS
September 7 at 7am-5pm
Location: North Suburban Center, Park City
- Go Orange Day! – MORE DETAILS
Wear orange, take a picture and share it on social media! Tell all of your friends how you are taking action to solve hunger! #HungerAction
- Elgin Hunger Summit – MORE DETAILS
September 20 at 6:30-8:30pm
Location: Gail Borden Public District Main Library, 270 N Grove Ave, Elgin, IL 60120
Having pantries and soup kithens are just one step to solving hunger. What happens when those in need are unable to access the pantry? Join a panel of experts from local social service organizations to learn about the barriers people face in our community and learn how you can help. Register to attend here.
- Joliet Pack-a-thon – MORE DETAILS
September 21 at 7am-5pm
Location: South Suburban Center, Joliet
- Advocacy Roundtable – MORE DETAILS
September 25 at 6-8:30pm
At the heart of the Food Bank’s mission are the people we serve. With that in mind, the Food Bank invites our neighbors, member agencies, legislators, and supporters to a roundtable event to dispel the myths and build partnerships to solve hunger in Northern Illinois. RSVP online by September 18 at SolveHungerToday.org/Roundtable. For more information, please contact Teresaa Schryver at email@example.com
- Rockford City Pack-a-thon – MORE DETAILS
September 28 at 7am-5pm
Location: Northwest Center, Rockford
For more information about Hunger Action Month and how you can get involved, please contact Teresa Schryver – Email or call 630-443-6910 ext 160