Creative ways to celebrate this summer
04/Jul/20 / 14:54
Happy Fourth of July! Today is usually a day spent celebrating with friends and family at parades, barbecues and firework shows. This year, our celebrations might look a little different, but our festivities can still be just as fun!
Here are some creative ways to celebrate Independence Day this year:
- Enjoy an outdoors picnic. With beautiful summer weather and your favorite fresh foods, a picnic is the perfect way to celebrate! Turn picnic-prep into a family activity – work together to cut up fruit, build sandwiches, and pack the cooler. Grab a blanket, some sunscreen, and head to your favorite outdoor area. You and your loved ones can enjoy the fresh air, the holiday, and the meals you’ve made together.
- Get creative with red, white, and blue foods! Make the day festive with colorful ingredients. Start the day off with a bang, and try “firework” pancakes! Add red, white, and blue sprinkles to pancake batter for a holiday-themed breakfast. For lunch, get creative with your salad – ingredients like red peppers or tomatoes, white corn or cauliflower, or “blue” cheese can make for a perfect patriotic plate. At the end of the day, vanilla ice cream with strawberries and blueberries is a delicious celebratory dessert.
- Keep the grill going. Even if your backyard barbecue is just you and your family this year, keep the holiday spirit up and grill your favorite Fourth of July foods anyway! While hot dogs and hamburgers are classics, check out this story for unique and nutritious items that can inspire your holiday grilling.
There are plenty of exciting ways to celebrate the Fourth of July this year – and who knows? You may even start a new holiday tradition!
How You Can Help:
- Volunteer at one of our Centers in Geneva, Rockford or Park City sorting and packing food
- Donate to help us solve hunger in your community – every $1 donated helps provide $8 of groceries.